Saturday 16 April 2011

A unique view of wales, and how to avoid them in the sea.

It has just occurred to me that I have not written an update in a very long time!

Well after Budapest I have been swamped with work, and spent about 15 hours in the library in the past 4 days!!

Anyway the first weekend of Easter break I went on a horse riding holiday with the Riding Club at Southampton University. It was absolutely amazing-- beyond words. We stayed at a B&B at Cwmfforest Riding Center, Trans Wales Trails, in Breacon. We got there and had an amazing roast dinner and a lemon pot for dessert, and chatted with the owner about ourselves so he had an idea of which horses to give us.

Next morning woke up to the lovely sound of Wales in Spring time i.e. baby lambs. Got geared up, went to eat breakfast and then to get our horses. My horse was names Jonah and he was a black cob with a strip on his face-- was adorable and a very easy ride! Here are some pictures:

We did about 20 miles on horseback with pub lunches every day. It was absolutely amazing. I wish the pictures did this trip justice.  On the last day we jumped over these ditches which looked a lot bigger when you were in them than they did from a distance!! It would have been a lot of fun if I could have felt my legs, because at that point we had done 8 miles and I could no longer feel my knees so was basically gripping to Jonah's mane and holding on for dear life so I did not end up in the mud. I cannot express how amazing this trip and scenery was-- I am tempted to go back in the summer-- though it is not quite in my budget. 

This past week I had a week lone "field course" that basically involved becoming certified for First aid and CPR and Sea survival. Essentially how to avoid death via hypothermia, sharks, debris, when your shipwrecked or floating in the sea. I also got to drive a RIB and to be honest I drove that boat like a pro! I really enjoyed it and this course got me really excited to spend the rest of my life at sea! 




Also my friend Sam is backpacking her way through Europe raising awareness for awful wasteful practice of Shark finning  and asking for donations for the Rob Stewart Foundation. Please check it out and if able to-- any size donation will be greatly appreciated!! (Even if it is just $1!)
SAVE THE SHARKS CLICK HERE

It is going to be a fabulous blog!

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment